Thursday, September 8, 2011

A Good Morning

I wake up and smell the coffee. I'm not a morning person and my sweet husband has learned the nicest way for me to wake up is with coffee and quiet. So he brings me coffee in bed, leaves it on my nightstand and quietly shuts the door. I then have 30 minutes to slowly wake up, while I read, pray or journal.

Every morning isn't like this of course, but the days he brings me coffee (and I use my 30 minutes wisely) are guaranteed to be better days.

I was reminded of this after my friend Kerri posted this video, a mash up of retro coffee commercials where husbands insult their wives's coffee (it is pretty shocking how far we have come in such a short time).

Upon watching it, my first thought was, if my husband spoke to me like that, I'd throw the pot in his face. But then again, early in our relationship, he told me (in a much nicer way) that my coffee was bad and I didn't argue. So now, he sets the coffee every night before bed.

If I need a cup in the afternoon, he will make it if he is home and if he isn't, now that I'm boycotting Starbucks, I make my own (bad) coffee or visit my friend, who's husband makes awesome coffee (so awesome, I wish he would open a coffee shop at the end of my block, ehm).

Being served coffee in bed, and then using my time wisely, doesn't happen every morning, of course, but when it does the rest of the day is pretty smooth.

For about nine months, I was working from home, and mornings did not start like that. Hubby still brought me coffee in bed most mornings, but instead of reading my Bible or writing in my journal, I would check my email on my phone. Life pretty quickly derailed.

Living in a work-a-holic state, I asked Pastor Jeff, the busiest man I know, how he finds time for everything. He told me he starts every day with prayer and meditation and the rest falls into place. I tried it for a week, and realized the job was getting in the way of more important things.

A month into leaving full-time work from home employment and resuming my quiet time, I feel much better about life.

And I love -- and appreciate -- that my husband still brings me coffee in bed. Thanks babe.

No comments:

Post a Comment