Thursday, November 3, 2011

30 Days of Discontent

Many of my FB friends are doing 30 Days of Gratitude for November. I'm having a hard time getting in the spirit of it and instead feel like posting 30 Days of Discontent. I will update this as the month goes on:

Nov. 1: I hate that so many people lie. Little lies, big lies. We are surrounded by lies. Politicians, bosses, employees, friends, neighbors. Everyone lies. Even I lie. Whether a white lie to my kid or begging off a social engagement because I'd rather lay on the couch and watch Real Housewives.
I can't count the number of times I've committed the biggest lie of our time: "I have read and accept these terms and conditions." Sure, it is a harmless lie, but I still hate that lying is normal, accepted and expected in our society.

Nov. 2: I hate feeling like everyone had their hand in my pocketbook. From "charities" to commercials to the cable company, everyone is trying to separate me from my money. We are blessed to have so much, but I feel like I can never get ahead.

Nov. 3: I hate that poverty exists. I lead a fairly sheltered life, so I don't need to confront poverty face to face on a regular basis. But I know it exists. I know that I have it so good in my warm suburban home, and I am grateful for it. I donate food and clothing to the church's mission closet, but it feels like teaspoons in the ocean.

Update: Nov. 4: I hate that ministries and ministers sometimes come off as greedy. It gives all Christians a bad name. For instance, this story tells about a bankrupt church whose pastor was allegedly collecting a lavish salary. It doesn't say how much he was getting paid, but still, stories like these do not do anything to glorify God. In fact, it turns a lot of people off of Christianity. And I really hate that.

No comments:

Post a Comment