Monday, November 21, 2011

Christmas Shopping Dilemna

I am having a disconnect between my conscience and my pocketbook this Christmas. I don't want to spend a lot of money. I don't want to be inconvenienced. I don't want to use credit cards. And most importantly, I don't want to violate my personal ethics.

Growing up in Mall Capital of America, I want to avoid traffic, malls and parking at all costs. Enter online shopping. No crowds, no traffic, no hassles. And paying with debit cards or paypal ensures I don't overspend and increase my debt.

But this year, I'm having a problem justifying online shopping. Over the summer, there were some exposes about unsafe working conditions in Amazon.com factories. That's something that I just cannot support.

I also don't think I can shop at Kohl's anymore. It's tempting when a 30% off coupon arrives in the mail, but of course, you have to use your credit card to take advantage of the coupon. Plus, I find most Kohl's clothes fall apart pretty quickly.

The big sticking point for me is knowing that many of the clothes were made in China and other countries without fair labor practices. For all I know, it was made by some little kid who spends 10 to 12 hours a day in a factory instead of playing outside.

I am hoping to be able to make the right choice in purchasing presents this year. (I shutter to think where McQueen and Thomas are made!!)

Have any good American-made gift ideas? Know of a place to shop online or locally for it?

3 comments:

  1. From my friend Sharon:
    http://www.pureplaykids.com/about-pure-play-kids/

    ReplyDelete
  2. If anyone needs shoes, Toms Shoes is a great buy. Buy a pair, and a pair gets donated to kids in need.

    Invisible Children also sells pretty cool bags, and buying a bag support their mission.

    I'll try to think up some more. Great thoughts here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...oh, and Ten Thousand Villages is always awesome.

    And my sister-in-law always makes us special kinds of food or homemade granola or some-such-thing. I, for one, LOVE food, and love receiving any sort of food item for Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete